CTE Conference 2019
Barracuda Public Relations
Promoting SKILLS, Not Just THRILLS: Using Social Media To Promote Your Programs
- Social media is ubiquitous for spreading good (and bad) information like wildfire; how will your program promotion on social media cut through the noise? Learn methods for real social media marketing and social media advertising to promote knowledge and interest in your academic programs.
The Borderplex Alliance
Get Your Head in the Cloud
- Businesses are leaving California in record numbers. Cost of living is driving talent out of the state. How is the Borderplex taking advantage of this? Coming straight from the mouths of those in Silicon Valley, hear what companies are expecting from their workforce. Learn about a simple certification that can give your students that technical edge.
Drug Enforcement Agency
Drug Enforcement Administration - Tough Work, Vital Mission
- Upon completion of the course, the participants will be able aware of the current, and relevant drug information about illicit drug use, the misuse of prescription drugs, drugs use trends and trafficking, as well as the health concerns and consequences of drug abuse. They will have a working knowledge of current drug issues that may affect them and their communities, and the process to become a Special Agent. As a DEA Special Agent, you will work as part of an elite criminal investigation team that transforms the power of your talent into action. That action makes a difference for the security and well-being of our nation and the world every day.
El Paso Community College
Renewable Energy Technology Systems
- The Renewable Energy Technology Systems program prepares students for entry-level positions in the field of Photovoltaic (PV) and Solar Thermal installation and maintenance. This entry-level preparation provides students with sufficient academic preparation to enter the field. Students who have experience in fields such as construction, electrical, plumbing, and roofing enrich their skills with additional renewable energy systems and energy conservation training. The program curriculum includes safety basics, electricity basics, solar energy fundamentals, PV module fundamentals, system components, PV system sizing principles, PV system electrical design, PV system mechanical design, performance analysis, maintenance and troubleshooting, green building, and preparation for the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) exam. This program prepares students for the NABCEP certification exam. Those who receive this certification are employable nationwide.`
El Paso Electric
Innovating for the Future
- As customer needs change, utilities must be constantly seeking methods to better deliver new and innovative energy services. Hear about the different ways utilities develop to meet evolving customer demands through new technologies, programs that expand renewable energy, smart community initiatives and diverse energy models.
Powering Today's World: No-cost Digital Resources
- We don’t know what skills will be needed by the workforce of tomorrow, but we do know that some skills never grow old. EVERFI’s no-cost resources on career readiness activate the lifelong learner, or the EVERLearner, the person who can master any task because they possess the skills that really matter: curiosity, ingenuity, and the confidence to learn and grow.
FabLab El Paso
Makers on the Move!
- The borderlands are at the edge of a digital transformation and Fab Lab El Paso will be launching three new programs to support this initiative. Come learn about our newest educational outreach program centered around a Mobile Makerspace, free software development classes sponsored by Microsoft, and a new Digital Badge training program through the North American Digifab Alliance and America Makes. New and exciting things are happening at The Lab and we want you to be a part of it!
Federal Bureau of Investigation
- This course will discuss real investigative case scenarios of unique and high level cyber crimes committed in the El Paso area, with tips and techniques on how to keep you, your family, your business, and your schools safe.
- The main three steps of a forensic examination are acquisition, processing, and the analysis of data. This presentation involves the discussion of how these three steps apply to the different types of devices capable of storing information and how they are acquired, processed, and analyzed in order to determine if inculpatory or exculpatory evidence exists that support or refute the elements of a criminal investigation.
Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas
Navigate: Exploring College and Career
- Navigate provides classroom ready lessons for students to use as they look at post secondary career and education paths. Lessons include career exploration, post secondary education, a plan for high school, and paying for college. Materials are free.
- Building Wealth provides classroom ready materials that teach the basics of financial literacy - goal setting, budgeting, investing, credit and insurance. These materials are available free from the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas. Join us at our session and learn more about how to use these in your classroom.
Jordan Foster Construction, LLC
Opportunities and Careers in Construction, Architecture, and Civil Engineering
- Opportunities, skills, and career information will be shared from industry experts in the construction sector. In addition, we will share critical school courses students need to take them into the profession of architecture and civil engineering.
Knowledge Matters, Inc.
Invigorate Your Classroom With Virtual Business Simulations
- Knowledge Matters' Virtual Business online simulations engage students with real-world business and finance problems, providing interactive, self-paced learning. See what Virtual Business Simulations can do for your classroom: VB Retailing, VB Management, VB Sports & Entertainment, VB Personal Finance, VB Fashion, VB Hotel, VB Restaurant, and VB Accounting.
The 5 C’s of Credit and How to Obtain a Business Loan
- This workshop will provide information to you as an educator for our students, our future entrepreneurs, with some tips that will help them with their personal credit so that someday they will be able to obtain a business loan to start their business. They will learn about how Character, Capacity, Capital, Collateral and Conditions will prepare them for that business loan. After all, it is never too early to start learning!
Fostering College and Career Readiness with Newsela
- When people think about Newsela's instructional content platform, their mind typically goes to ‘ELA Content’ and ‘Social Studies resource.’ However, you might not realize that Newsela also offers other types of nonfiction resources, including career-focused articles offering alternative viewpoints to help foster post-secondary success and get students to and through college and career readiness. Join this workshop to learn how Newsela’s Custom Collections provide districts the ability to build TEKS-aligned pathways based on their instructional framework and academic priorities so that you can allow your CTE teachers to make the most of their instructional time using resources that are accessible to students at 5 different reading levels and are based on the career path they’re in.
Northwest ECHS Forensic Science Teacher
Forensic Science-- a survey of lessons
- Come explore forensic science methods and techniques that you can use in your classroom. We will take a look at a few different techniques that you can easily (and cheaply) use in your classroom to teach forensic concepts. This session will be very hands-on.
El Paso OSHA Update
- El Paso OSHA Update – This presentation will provide information regarding El Paso Area Office Inspections, OSHA’s Fatality Statistics, Top Ten Violations, OSHA Campaigns and OSHA Education Initiatives.
Panel of Medical Students
The Journey to Medical School
- Come on by to learn from current and future medical students about how they got accepted into medical school and what their experience is like now that they are or will be attending medical school! Come enjoy the conversation and get your questions about preparation for medical school answered so you can pass on to your students!
Southwest X-Ray and PIMA Medical Institute
- Take a deep dive into the career of radiology and the opportunities that exists for your students!
Minds-I STEM Integrated Robotics: Minds-I Drones Curriculum
- The Minds-i Drones Lab and Curriculum is designed to teach students the systems of drone technology. Designed as an interactive approach to applied learning, students will explore the fields of science, technology, engineering and math. Students will become familiar with the basics of drone systems, robotics and programming in a team based environment.
Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (CPS)
Benefits for Youth exiting the Foster Care System in Texas
- Youth exiting the foster care system can qualify for Educational benefits, health care benefits and case management services. Come learn what these youth qualify for and how you can help them be successful adults.
Texas Education Agency
CTE Directors Meeting
- Meeting with Career and Technical Education Directors from the El Paso region.
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso
TTUHSC El Paso and Beyond
- Brief description to what it takes to get into medical school and the future of where TTUHSC El Paso is headed.
University Texas El Paso
Mining the Skies: Applications in Unmanned Aerial Systems
- The use of drones, also known as Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) has rapidly evolved the methods in which data gathering, surveillance, and research has been implemented in multiple fields. It not only requires technical knowledge, but operational use as well to pilot these systems. The University of Texas at El Paso's (UTEP) Mechanical Engineering Department recognizes the growing importance of such applications and has developed an initiative to implement the Unmanned Aerial Systems in STEM/CTE Curriculum in secondary education. It will also highlight as the new Drone Program- Mining the Skies, that will serve as a pipeline from regional high schools into the UTEP Mechanical Engineering Program.
What do Civil and Environmental Engineers do?
- Engineering is everywhere from the moment you wake up to the moment you go to sleep. Specifically, Civil and Environmental Engineering is ever present in our daily lives in all of the infrastructure that surrounds us: the roads, the bridges, the buildings, and our homes., as well as the water and wastewater treatment plants. Civil and Environmental engineers help clean the air we breathe and the water we drink but also help in controlling the pollution and promoting sustainable development in our daily lives as well as responding during and after natural disasters. Civil and environmental engineers are problem solvers, innovators, entrepreneurs and people-serving. Civil and environmental Engineering combine knowledge in physics, chemistry, and biology to develop solutions to improve people’s lives all over the world. A civil engineering education can provide a foundation and understanding of the world that can help a person move into leadership positions and careers beyond engineering like law or health. sciences. Civil and Environmental Engineers apply knowledge in science and engineering but can be advocates and activists that can make a difference in the world though service learning and community service projects.
Educating Tomorrow’s Engineers Through Emerging Additive Manufacturing Technology
- Additive manufacturing (AM), commonly known as 3D printing, has evolved significantly over the last two decades. The ability to fabricate complex objects in a wide range of materials, has captivated the interest of manufacturing entities. Aerospace and automotive companies, among others, have established AM specific departments, where they seek to hire engineers with an understanding of the capabilities and limitations of 3D printing. The W.M. Keck Center for 3D Innovation, within the Mechanical Engineering department of the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP), offers unique resources to educate and produce highly sought after engineers with expertise in AM.
UTEP School of Pharmacy
Preparing for a Future in Pharmacy
- Information about career opportunities within the pharmacy field, the skills and characteristics that make students well-rounded applicants, and how you as a CTE teacher can help prepare students for this competitive fieldInformation about career opportunities within the pharmacy field, the skills and characteristics that make students well-rounded applicants, and how you as a CTE teacher can help prepare students for this competitive field.
Western Technical College
How to Recruit for CTE programs at the Middle School and HS level
- Help CTE teachers understand the importance on recruitment for the benefit of their students, their families and our community.
Careers in high demand
- The presentation will provide information on the welding program; how we train our student to be safe and become AWS certified welders, and the opportunities they have out in the industry.
Advanced Welding Technology/ HVAC
- To discuss the high demand for HVAC/R Technicians and how we can help both the workforce and student placement.
Workforce Solutions Borderplex
El Paso Collaborative for Academic Excellence- "Nurturing, Growing, and Keeping El Paso's Talent- Workforce Indicators"
- Creating opportunities and strategies that impact quality of life and upward mobility in our region.
Xello Best Practices
- In this session we will review Xello features and discuss best practices to help you get the most out of the program. We'll also highlight new features that will be released during the 2019-20 academic year.
Xello-Course Planner and Transcripts
- Course Planner is a high school course planning tool that can be configured with your student information system (SIS) to best meet the needs of each school within your district. Course Planner will be customized to compliment the requirements of ESC 19 districts and HB5. School counselors are able to track each student’s progress towards graduation, as well as their progress to each assigned Endorsement. Students use Course Planner for planning purposes only, or course selections for the next year, or a combination of both. Those course selections can be imported into your SIS for scheduling purposes. ESC 19 district's have access to our electronic Transcripts tool. This feature allows students to request transcripts be send to the colleges they are applying to. Counselors send transcripts on behalf of students, at no additional cost to the student and school. These are your official SIS transcripts. ESC 19 district's also have access to both our CTE Funding Reports and Student Tracker Reports (through National Student Clearing House). I will be reviewing all of these custom features that are available to ESC 19 districts.