Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
"With this bill, we reaffirm that fundamentally American ideal—that every child, regardless of race, income, background, the zip code where they live, deserves the chance to make of their lives what they will."
President Barack Obama
The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) was signed by President Obama on December 10, 2015 and amends the 50 year old Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA). Some highlights of ESSA:
- Advances equity by upholding critical protections for high-need students
- Enhanced expectations for college and career preparation
- Ensures that statewide assessments provide information to educators, students, families and communities
- Supports evidence-based interventions
- Increases access to high-quality preschool
- Maintains accountability expectations for low-performing schools
- ESSA became effective on July 1, 2017.
ESC Region 19 provides technical assistance for all ESSA programs such as information and requirements, assistance to districts in maintaining compliance with federal program requirements, and professional development for more effective use of federal resources to ensure greater student achievement.
Click a specific program area in the (menu on the left) for more information on each program. Click below for more ESSA resources.