For students who would like to experience a military environment while getting a first-class education, the five Service academies — the U.S. Military Academy (Army) in West Point, N.Y.; the U.S. Naval Academy (Navy/Marine Corps) in Annapolis, Md.; the U.S. Air Force Academy (Air Force) in Colorado Springs, Colo.; the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (Coast Guard) in New London, Conn.; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, N.Y. — offer an outstanding education and full four-year scholarships. Tuition, books, board and medical and dental care are all fully paid for all four years.
The competition to get in is fierce. Admissions criteria include:
• High school academic performance
• Standardized test scores (SAT or ACT)
• Athletics and extracurricular activities
• Leadership experience and community involvement
• A congressional letter of recommendation (not required by the Coast Guard Academy)
Graduates of all four academies receive a Bachelor of Science degree and are commissioned as officers in their respective Service branch. In all cases, there is a service obligation of a minimum of five years.
(Information retrieved from http://todaysmilitary.com/training/service-academies-and-military-colleges)